Monday, July 22, 2013

Random thoughts during my first 10K

I did my first 10K yesterday. I started training in March after I did the Coogan's 5K. Until recently, I trained exclusively on the treadmill and I developed a level of endurance by doing so. Going in, I knew that I would be happy if I completed within an hour & a half but I was thrilled to learn that I completed in an hour & 26 minutes.

I'm on the hook for an hour and a half so random thoughts come into play.
Waiting to start: "I'm stuck in the slowpoke section & I can't see the starting line."
Beginning of race: "Where is the starting line?"
Starting line: "Let's do this."
1 mile mark: "OK. We're making progress."
2 mile mark: "There's the one-person cheering section & her dad."
Somewhere between the 2 & 3 mile mark: "Hey, there's my car."
3 mile mark: "We're getting there."
5K mark: "If this was a 5K event, I can get out of dodge."
Somewhere between to 5K mark & the 4 mile mark: "Aye, aye, aye."
4 mile mark: "I still have a way to go."
5 mile mark: "Almost there." I also saw a friend of mine drive out of the park shortly after this point; she finished 25 minutes before me.
Somewhere between the 5 mile & 6 mile mark: "Are we there yet?," "Why am I craving hot wings?," "There's Mister Softee."
Just past the 6 mile mark: "These last point two miles are killing me. I can't see the finish line."
Finish line: Feeling great & accomplished.

The camaraderie was awesome. I met all types of folks along the way. Considering the heat wave that plagued the area last week, I couldn't have asked for better weather. That's done & now I'm on a mission to knock out half-marathon training.

No comments:

Post a Comment