Thursday, May 8, 2014

Completed my second half marathon

I have been using RunKeeper to train for a half-marathon and will be using the same app to train for the NYC Marathon. This app is on my phone and I also log on from my computer on the web. When I run, the app tracks my distance, pace, total time, and my route; it's pretty cool to see how I'm doing day-to-day and by location.

The More Magazine/Fitness Magazine Half Marathon was my first half. This race fell during a busy weekend; went to the Yankee game on Friday, my HS reunion was the day before, and I was going to a birthday party for one of my daughter's classmates immediately after the race. I wanted to complete the race in 3 hours and was thrilled to see that I finished in 2:59:10.

My second half was the Long Island Half this past Sunday and it was a great day for a race. I had a really strong start and finished in 2:59:49. I tracked my time on RunKeeper and noticed that I lost a considerable amount of time waiting to use the bathroom at various points throughout the race. Whatever the case may be, I completed the race without needing a wheelchair or an ambulance (LOL).

I'm registered for my third half taking place in a week and a half. The Superhero Half sounds like it will be a fun race. To get in the spirit, I wanted to get a superhero outfit (my daughter wanted me to get a Spidergirl costume) but I find the prices to be a tad prohibitive considering I'm not at goal weight and I don't want to buy something I can only wear once. I went to Party City and bought a Superman shirt for $9.99 (tax free because I bought it in NYC).

In the meantime, I'm still figuring out hydration and fueling strategies as I build my speed and endurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment